Nottingham Forest boss Steve Cotterill no longer interested in signing Ipswich Town skipper Grant leadbitter
NOTTINGHAM Forest manager Steve Cotterill admits he is a big admirer of Ipswich Town captain Grant Leadbitter – but says he is no longer interested in signing him.
Cotterill tried to bring the 25-year-old midfielder to Portsmouth just prior to the summer transfer window closing, but had a bid rejected by Blues boss Paul Jewell.
Since then, Leadbitter – in the final year of his contract – has turned down a new deal at Portman Road, while Cotterill has taken over at The City Ground.
But after watching his side twice come from behind to beat the visiting Blues 3-2 on Saturday, the Forest boss says he won’t be trying again for the Town’s skipper’s signature in January.
“There was some interest when I was at Portsmouth, yes,” admitted Cotterill, whose side inflicted a fourth straight defeat on Ipswich thanks to a brace of late goals – with the winner coming a minute into injury time.
You may also want to watch:
“It wasn’t something I wanted made public, it was the same with David Norris – I like to do things properly.
“I don’t know whether that (interest in Leadbitter) will be renewed at Nottingham Forest though simply because we have a lot of central midfield players. There are other positions we probably need to look at.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
“I’ve been an admirer of Grant for a long time, as I have a lot of players in the Ipswich team. I’ve come across most of them in the Championship at one time or another and I think they’re a real good bunch of lads.”
Jewell admitted last week that contract talks with Leadbitter are on hold for now, but that both parties were comfortable with the situation.