Nugent set to leave Pompey as Phillips released by Birmingham
ON the day Paul Jewell is meeting with a mystery transfer target, two former Premier League strikers are about to come on the free transfer market.
Veteran striker Kevin Phillips was this morning released by Birmingham along with Sebastian Larsson and Lee Bowyer following the club’s relegation from the Premier League.
And David Nugent’s departure from Portsmouth has moved a step closer after Pompey boss Steve Cotterill revealed he is still in the dark over whether the striker will sign a new contract at the club.
Nugent, 26, had claimed he wanted his future sorted before the end of this month and Cotterill admitted he had heard nothing from the Blues’ leading goalscorer last season.
Cotterill said: “There has been a long enough time now for Nuge to have sat down and sorted out a contract – and it hasn’t happened.
You may also want to watch:
“When he said he wanted to wait, I thought he would have had this settled by the end of May but I have heard nothing. I have no idea what he is going to do.
“He said he would speak to me before anything else happens. Well, I have not spoken to him. That is where we are with it. The ball is still in his court, it is up to him.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
“Nuge has had enough time to sit down and try to thrash out a contract and it hasn’t happened. I don’t expect it to, either. My gut feeling is I would be surprised if he was here next season.”
Faced with a takeover wrangle, Cotterill also revealed he had missed out on one transfer target – believed to be Gareth McAuley – but is still hopeful of securing David Norris to Fratton Park.
Jewell is due to meet a potential new signing in Ipswich today although the club are still keeping tight-lipped over the identity of the new man, with speculation that it is Cardiff City striker Michael Chopra.