Olympic gold medallist joins Ipswich Town staff
IPSWICH Town have appointed double Olympic gold medallist Steve Williams to their backroom staff.
Williams – won gold in the coxless fours at both the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Games – is taking on a consultancy role that will see him focus on the fitness development of players and match preparation, working closely alongside Blues’ fitness coach Andy Liddell.,
“The stats showed we were among the fittest sides in the Championship last season, but it’s important to explore every new angle of fitness and match preparation,” said Town boss Paul Jewell.
“Steve will work with individuals, as well as the squad in general, and brings with him a wealth of knowledge of competitive sport and what it takes to get to the very top.
“Having met Steve you can quickly see that he’s highly motivated and I’m delighted he will be working with us. He will bring new ideas and I’m sure he will have a positive influence on the squad.”
Williams took gold at four World Championships. He retired from the sport in 2010 and last year joined former Wales rugby union international, Richard Parks, to climb Mount Everest.
He said: “I’m really looking forward to working with the staff at Ipswich Town.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 3 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 4 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 5 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 6 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 7 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 8 Here's what Town fans are saying about Keogh signing
- 9 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 10 Woman in her 80s dies after being pulled from the sea
“There are many components in sport to getting individuals and a team in the best condition and I’m confident the experiences I have had in my career can be used as an asset to this football club.”