On the search for Bosman signings – Paul Jewell is speaking to agents
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell is already speaking to the agents of potential Bosman free transfer signings.
The Blues boss admitted he didn’t know if other clubs had contacted any of his soon to be out-of-contract players. However, he did reveal that he has spoken to a few agents himself.
“That goes on,” said Jewell. “It’s not like the season finishes and everyone suddenly picks the phone up – it’s an ongoing thing. Even when the transfer window is shut you are always speaking to agents.
“There will be more players available for free because this summer because there is less money about.
“I’ve just spoken to two agents this morning about players who are out of contract in the summer and I’m sure our lads who are out of contract are telling their agents to see what offers are about. That’s the way the world is.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “It’s a difficult balancing act because on one hand you want to get in there quick for these players, but sometimes if you make the first offer they use that as a bargaining tool with other clubs.
“They call them free transfers or Bosmans now because it can work in the players’ favour, but in my day we used to call it the sack!”
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 4 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 5 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 9 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig