Overwhelming majority of fans want additions to Ipswich Town squad, but how likely is that?
Ipswich Town fans want to see Mick McCarthy strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes – but they are likely to be disappointed.
An overwhelming 94% of those who voted in this newspaper’s online poll yesterday said they felt the Blues needed to recruit before next Monday’s 11pm deadline, but the EADT understands that there are no plans to make any significant additions.
Ipswich currently occupy eighth spot in the Championship table having lost just three of their last 16 league games. Many feel that a tough week, which included an FA Cup exit at Portsmouth and defeat at Birmingham, means it’s a good time to bring in a new face or two for a timely boost.
Virtually all of Town’s top-six Championship rivals have signed at least one key player, or signalled their intent to do so, in recent weeks.
Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka says he ‘needs more options’ and they have been heavily linked with Fulham striker Ross McCormack, while Hull City manager Steve Bruce has made public his interest in Wolfsburg striker Nicklas Bendtner.
Brighton have signed midfielders Anthony Knockaert and Steve Sidwell, Derby have spent almost £4m on Nick Blackman and Abdoul Camara already this month, while Burnley have had a bid for Brentford winger Alan Judge rejected.
Sheffield Wednesday have brought in striker Gary Hooper from Norwich, while Birmingham boss Gary Rowett – who has replaced Demarai Gray with Will Buckley – has made it clear he wants to do more business.
Town boss McCarthy, meanwhile, has continued his rhetoric that he is happy with what he’s got.
Homesick Australian winger Tommy Oar had his contract cancelled last week, but the Blues boss says that the presence of fringe duo Larsen Toure and Jay Tabb negates the need to replace him.
- 1 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 4 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 5 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 6 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 7 Company fined nearly £4k for further food hygiene breaches
- 8 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 9 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 10 'I apologise for the misunderstanding' - Nsiala issues statement
Bolton boss Neil Lennon has said that the Blues have made an enquiry about midfielder Darren Pratley, but it’s understood that interest has been over-stated.