Paul Anderson heads list of Ipswich Town players not offered new deal, while Jay Tabb signs one-year contract
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Paul Anderson, Darren Ambrose and the Hunt brothers, Noel and Stephen, have been told there is no new deal on the table for them at Ipswich Town, for now.
Manager Mick McCarthy held talks with his squad on Monday, following the weekend’s Championship semi-final Play-Off defeat to Norwich City and also informed on-loan Richard Chaplow, now a free agent, that he could not offer him a new contract at Portman Road at the present time.
The quintet’s stays at Portman Road are not definitely at an end though and depending on his summer dealings, McCarthy could yet choose to sit down with one or two of the aforementioned stars before the start of the new Championship campaign.
Out-of-favour full-back Elliott Hewitt will be released, the former Macclesfield defender, who spent a loan spell at Colchester this season, having struggled to make an impact under McCarthy, while Jay Tabb, whose contract expires this summer, is expected to sign a new deal after activating a clause in his contract.
Paul Taylor, a £1.5m signing from Peterborough by Paul Jewell, nearly three years ago, has departed after being told he would never play for the club under McCarthy again, while ex-Colchester winger Anthony Wordsworth and young striker Jack Marriott, who is expected to sign for Luton, have also left the Blues.
Omar Sowumni, the defender who spent time on loan at Lowestoft Town this season, has been told to find new employees, while back-up goalkeeper Paddy Kenny and Zeki Fryers are also leaving Portman Road.
“I have spoken to all the players in the squad today,” McCarthy told the club website
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 Lorry carrying mobile unit pulled over on A14 for being too wide
- 6 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 9 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 10 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
“Of the ones out of contract, we have released Elliott Hewitt and I’ve told Ando, Darren Ambrose, Chappers, Stephen Hunt and Noel that we won’t be offering them anything at the moment.
“I’m going away on holiday, they are going away and I’ve told them I want to see what is around. They will be doing the same as well.
“There is an element of freshening things up. We need to go again and you need fresh faces to do that so we will see what happens with those lads.
“I have not closed the door on those players. They are great lads. We might be good for them. They might be good for us but there is nothing happening with them at the moment.”