Paul Jewell admits frustration over departing Tamas Priskin
IPSWICH boss Paul Jewell has pointed to Tamas Priskin’s inconsistency as the main reason why he hasn’t become a first team regular with the Blues.
Jewell allowed the Hungarian international to join divisional rivals Derby County on a loan deal until January – prompting Rams manager Nigel Clough to hail the signing as a “massive boost”.
But the Town manager this morning he had been left frustrated by someone he believes has obvious ability.
Jewell said: “He’s got ability Tamas, it’s just inconsistency that’s held him back since he’s been here.
“He is frustrating because he’s got all the attributes. He’s got all the tools, he’s quick enough, he’s good in the air, he’s technically good.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a smashing lad and I haven’t got a problem with him, despite what people might think. He’s a good lad, a good professional, he’s just lacked a bit of consistency.
“Tamas has obviously been on the periphery of the team. Derby came in for him but it suits both parties. His contract is up in the summer so it is up to him to go and prove himself, to get sorted out for next year.”
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
The striker himself pushed for the loan deal in a bid to play regular football in the Championship.
Priskin said: “It is always a frustration for a player when he is not playing. I was frustrated and that is why I am really happy to come to Derby.
“I am really pleased to join this great club. I think it is a great opportunity for me to play a few games and, hopefully, I can help the team.
“As soon as I heard about Derby’s interest, I wanted to come here. The decision was easy for me.”
Speaking to Derby’s website, Clough said: “To get a striker in on loan of Tamas’s pedigree is a massive boost for us and we’re delighted to have him here.
“There aren’t too many current internationals available for loan at the moment and Tamas will be a very good addition to the squad. I am sure he will be a hit here. Tamas has proved in the past, especially at Watford, he is capable of scoring goals at this level.”