Paul Jewell hails “excellent performance” at Leicester
PAUL Jewell was happy to reflect on the positives of this afternoon’s 1-1 draw at big-spending Leicester City.
Lee Bowyer gave the Blues the lead in the fourth minute after Michael Chopra had already missed a penalty.
But Paul Gallagher’s own spot kick in the second half earned a share of the spoils – with Town hanging on a little in the closing stages.
Jewell said: “I thought we worked exceptionally hard. We started the game very brightly and sharp, missed a penalty, but that didn’t effect us as we scored soon after.
“We had to dig in and defend at times and I thought we might sneak it 1-0.”
You may also want to watch:
The Town boss felt Foxes full back Paul Konchesky should have received a card for his foul on Lee Martin which won Town their early penalty – but not a red.
He explained: “I don’t think the player should have got sent off although I find it difficult that he didn’t get a yellow and we had a couple of yellow cards.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
And of Gallagher’s penalty, after Jason Scotland’s handball, Jewell said: “The referee gave a penalty although I am not sure if it was a penalty or not although it certainly hit Jason’s hand.
“But I am not here to talk about the referees – I thought our performance was excellent.”