Paul Jewell hits back on Harry Redknapp rumours – and insists ‘I won’t quit Ipswich Town’
IPSWICH boss Paul Jewell has spoken for the first time over growing rumours that Marcus Evans has sounded out Harry Redknapp to take over at Portman Road.
Jewell’s job is under fresh pressure following today’s 2-1 home defeat by Charlton Athletic – Town’s fifth defeat in six matches.
The afternoon started with rumours that three leading bookmakers had suspended betting on former Spurs boss Redknapp taking over from Jewell.
Speaking after yet another defeat, Jewell said: “I didn’t know about that. What do you want me to do?
“I know I am not doing very well, I don’t need anyone to tell me that. The only thing I look at is the league table.
You may also want to watch:
“If Harry Redknapp is going to become manager of Ipswich, that will happen. What can I do about it?
“If Marcus Evans wants to put Harry Redknapp in charge, he will do it – he can do whatever he wants.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
“The only way I can affect that is by working as hard as I can to put it right. I won’t stop doing that. If he makes a change, we will deal with the situation then.”
When asked if he would quit, Jewell said he had no intention of walking away.
He added: “I don’t know if I will keep my job – you are asking the wrong man. I am not going to quit.
“It is not an easy situation but I am not going to chuck it in.”