Paul Jewell hopeful of signing new centre-back before Charlton clash
Ipswich v Charlton: Blues boss Paul Jewell has admitted he is looking to bring in a new centre-back ahead of tomorrow’s Championship match.
Jewell is in talks with the player’s agent but refused to say too much about him in today’s pre-match press conference – other than confirm his position.
With just Luke Chambers and Tommy Smith on the books, Jewell has actively looked to bring in a new defender, something that became an even bigger priority after he sanctioned Damien Delaney’s departure shortly before the end of the summer transfer window.
Now he has until midday tomorrow to sign a new centre-back on loan ahead of the Addicks meeting, although he would only say he was “hopeful rather than confident” when quizzed about the developments.
He added: “I am not being awkward. We have been trying to get defensive cover in as we do need cover. I am trying to get one in as we speak. Whether that happens or not for tomorrow, I don’t know. But it is an area we need to improve on.
You may also want to watch:
“I have been down this route before. I have spoke about players coming in and then they turn the car around and we end up with egg on our face.
“We only have Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers as senior centre-halves so we do need to strengthen that area.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
“I was asked the question before the season would we have new players in, and I said ‘100% yes’, and we didn’t. So I am hopeful rather than confident.”
Jewell also confirmed that he would be speaking to the representatives of trialist Abdoulaye Meite this weekend over whether to offer the Ivory Coast international a deal at Portman Road.