Paul Jewell hopeful of signing new centre-back before Charlton clash
Ipswich v Charlton: Blues boss Paul Jewell has admitted he is looking to bring in a new centre-back ahead of tomorrow’s Championship match.
Jewell is in talks with the player’s agent but refused to say too much about him in today’s pre-match press conference – other than confirm his position.
With just Luke Chambers and Tommy Smith on the books, Jewell has actively looked to bring in a new defender, something that became an even bigger priority after he sanctioned Damien Delaney’s departure shortly before the end of the summer transfer window.
Now he has until midday tomorrow to sign a new centre-back on loan ahead of the Addicks meeting, although he would only say he was “hopeful rather than confident” when quizzed about the developments.
He added: “I am not being awkward. We have been trying to get defensive cover in as we do need cover. I am trying to get one in as we speak. Whether that happens or not for tomorrow, I don’t know. But it is an area we need to improve on.
“I have been down this route before. I have spoke about players coming in and then they turn the car around and we end up with egg on our face.
“We only have Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers as senior centre-halves so we do need to strengthen that area.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 3 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 4 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 5 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 6 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 7 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 10 Here's what Town fans are saying about Keogh signing
“I was asked the question before the season would we have new players in, and I said ‘100% yes’, and we didn’t. So I am hopeful rather than confident.”
Jewell also confirmed that he would be speaking to the representatives of trialist Abdoulaye Meite this weekend over whether to offer the Ivory Coast international a deal at Portman Road.