Paul Jewell promises team selection surprises but warns youngsters have to earn the right
PAUL Jewell has warned he won’t blood youngsters in the remaining seven games this season just for the sake of it.
With the play-off dream all but over, supporters have been clamouring for Luke Hyam and Josh Carson to return to the team.
Young duo Callum Bennett and Byron Lawrence have also been mentioned in some quarters.
But while promising “one or two surprises”, Jewell is no hurry to throw in a batch of youngsters unless they earn the right to be included.
He explained: “If we win seven games we might get into the play-offs – it’s not impossible. Between now and the end of the season we will look at a few new players, there’s no doubt about that – that isn’t in question.
You may also want to watch:
“I think between now and the end of the season there might be one or two surprises, maybe we’ll throw one or two lads in and see how they cope on the big stage.
“We’re not just going to give people a game just because they’re young though. To put an Ipswich Town shirt on you’ve got to earn that right.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
Jewell is considering changes for this afternoon’s home match against Barnsley although the attitude of everyone in training yesterday impressed him.
He added: “What people don’t understand is you have to keep a desire in players – it hurts them when they don’t play. You don’t want people sulking, but you don’t want them just accepting it either.
“We’ll prepare for all our remaining games as we would any other – we want to win them all.”
“We’re aware that people pay good money to watch us and we owe it to them to give our best whatever stage of the season it is.