Paul Jewell promises team selection surprises but warns youngsters have to earn the right
PAUL Jewell has warned he won’t blood youngsters in the remaining seven games this season just for the sake of it.
With the play-off dream all but over, supporters have been clamouring for Luke Hyam and Josh Carson to return to the team.
Young duo Callum Bennett and Byron Lawrence have also been mentioned in some quarters.
But while promising “one or two surprises”, Jewell is no hurry to throw in a batch of youngsters unless they earn the right to be included.
He explained: “If we win seven games we might get into the play-offs – it’s not impossible. Between now and the end of the season we will look at a few new players, there’s no doubt about that – that isn’t in question.
“I think between now and the end of the season there might be one or two surprises, maybe we’ll throw one or two lads in and see how they cope on the big stage.
“We’re not just going to give people a game just because they’re young though. To put an Ipswich Town shirt on you’ve got to earn that right.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 6 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 7 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 8 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 9 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 10 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
Jewell is considering changes for this afternoon’s home match against Barnsley although the attitude of everyone in training yesterday impressed him.
He added: “What people don’t understand is you have to keep a desire in players – it hurts them when they don’t play. You don’t want people sulking, but you don’t want them just accepting it either.
“We’ll prepare for all our remaining games as we would any other – we want to win them all.”
“We’re aware that people pay good money to watch us and we owe it to them to give our best whatever stage of the season it is.