Paul Jewell: Reaction to drugs test shows we are in this together
PAUL Jewell has revealed how a random drugs test showed further evidence of his side’s growing team spirit.
The Town boss is acutely aware that his small squad has forged a strong bond – something that has been commented on by a succession of current players.
And Jewell revealed this even extended to the random drugs tests carried out on Michael Chopra and Aaron Cresswell after Tuesday night’s win at Watford.
“We had to wait an hour for Michael Chopra and Aaron Cresswell after the Watford match as they had to do the random drugs tests.
“I asked the lads on the bus whether they wanted to stay and wait or leave, and they said they wanted to stay. I was gutted,” Jewell joked.
“But it shows the spirit and the fact we are all in this together.”
Chopra was the hero of the hour after his last-gasp winner over Watford and Jewell said he is delighted with the work-rate of Town’s top scorer last season and also Lee Martin.
- 1 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 2 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 3 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 4 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 5 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Red Arrows set to soar over Suffolk this weekend
- 8 A-Level results: Joy for students across Suffolk
- 9 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 10 'Delight' as Farlingaye students achieve 99% pass rate
Jewell said: “I have always thought he is one of the best players in the league.
“Michael’s problems in the past have been well-documented, but the club have worked exceptionally hard and spent a lot of time and energy on Michael because we know he is a top player.
“In fairness to him, he has bought into that and looks very sharp. Since he has come back in pre-season, he is in good physical and mental shape – he’s an integral part of our team.
“As well as passing the ball, we are trying to close the ball down as quickly as possible. We are trying to play a pressing game and both Michael and Lee Martin are setting that off at the minute. We want that to continue.”