Paul Jewell’s vision of the future sold Ipswich Town to me – Elliott Hewitt
PAUL Jewell’s desire to bring in “young, hungry players” helped persuade Elliott Hewitt to sign for Ipswich.
The 18-year-old yesterday agreed a three-year contract after completing his move from Macclesfield Town.
And the teenage right-back revealed the part the Town boss played in convincing him his footballing education would be best served at Portman Road.
Hewitt said: “He (Jewell) told me that he’s looking to the future and looking to bring on young, hungry players so hopefully I can help that happen here and help bring some success to Ipswich.
“I know the club have a tradition of bringing through young players so that played a part in my decision, and I’m looking to continue my development at this club now.”
You may also want to watch:
Hewitt was clearly impressed with both Jewell and the club as he looks to push skipper Carlos Edwards all the way for a right-back starting spot.
He added: “The club didn’t really need selling to me, just everything about the place is impressive. I’ve had a good look around the place and the training facilities are good, the ground is nice and it’s a big step up from Macclesfield.
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 6 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 7 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 8 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
“I spoke to the manager and he said all the right things to me and that persuaded me that this was the right place for me to come and play my football.
“Obviously I know the manager from his previous clubs and he’s a well recognisable name in the game. We had a good chat before I signed and he just seemed a nice guy too, so I’m looking forward to getting started here with him as my manager.”