Paul Jewell’s vision of the future sold Ipswich Town to me – Elliott Hewitt
PAUL Jewell’s desire to bring in “young, hungry players” helped persuade Elliott Hewitt to sign for Ipswich.
The 18-year-old yesterday agreed a three-year contract after completing his move from Macclesfield Town.
And the teenage right-back revealed the part the Town boss played in convincing him his footballing education would be best served at Portman Road.
Hewitt said: “He (Jewell) told me that he’s looking to the future and looking to bring on young, hungry players so hopefully I can help that happen here and help bring some success to Ipswich.
“I know the club have a tradition of bringing through young players so that played a part in my decision, and I’m looking to continue my development at this club now.”
Hewitt was clearly impressed with both Jewell and the club as he looks to push skipper Carlos Edwards all the way for a right-back starting spot.
He added: “The club didn’t really need selling to me, just everything about the place is impressive. I’ve had a good look around the place and the training facilities are good, the ground is nice and it’s a big step up from Macclesfield.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 8 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 9 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 10 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
“I spoke to the manager and he said all the right things to me and that persuaded me that this was the right place for me to come and play my football.
“Obviously I know the manager from his previous clubs and he’s a well recognisable name in the game. We had a good chat before I signed and he just seemed a nice guy too, so I’m looking forward to getting started here with him as my manager.”