PLAYER REACTION: Carlos Edwards accuses Town of giving Blackpool too much respect as Michael Chopra apologises to fans
Blackpool v Ipswich: Carlos Edwards believes Ipswich were guilty of showing too much respect to undefeated league leaders Blackpool.
The Town skipper also described the Seasiders’ second goal – Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s goal just before half-time making it 2-0 – as a sucker-punch.
But Edwards, typically, was making no excuses for a dire display that saw the Blues concede four goals in 13 minutes either side of half-time and eventually lose 6-0.
He said: “First half, we got a sucker punch on the stroke of half-time. We were coping well, but in the second half everything came crashing down.
“We don’t want to accept it, but we have to as the scoreline says we lost 6-0.
You may also want to watch:
“Fair play to them, they are a good team, but I think we gave them that little extra respect that we shouldn’t have.”
Tweeting after the match, Michael Chopra, who endured a difficult afternoon as the lone striker before being taken off after 69 minutes, said: “Would like to apologise to all the fans today bad performance need to put things right and get back to winning ways.”
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
Keeper Scott Loach, who was powerless to save any of the six goals, said: “Obvs (obviously) disappointed with the result. Strangest game I’ve been involved in a while. Fair play to our travelling fans for seeing it through.”
While second half sub Ronan Murray added: “Disappointed and gutted about the result today fans were great travelling all that way!!”