PLAYER’S REACTION: ‘I never felt like we were going to lose,’ says Murphy
DARYL Murphy says he sensed a change in mood among the Ipswich Town players after they showed tremendous character to secure a 2-1 win over Burnley at Portman Road.
The Blues led 1-0 through Murphy’s 50th minute header, but were pegged back against the run of play with 10 minutes to go when substitute Sam Vokes headed home.
Having let 1-0 leads slip in the final five matches of Paul Jewell’s managerial regime, a sense of nervousness suddenly swept around a Portman Road crowd who hadn’t witnessed a league win in more than seven moths.
The players showed superb spirit though and sealed a fully deserved victory three minutes from time when DJ Campbell produced a deft finish following a flowing counter-attacking move.
Having claimed six points from Mick McCarthy’s first three games in charge, the Blues are now off the bottom of the Championship table.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a feeling of joy more than anything to get that first home win,” said Murphy, who scored the winner in Town’s previous home league win – a 1-0 victory over Barsley on March 31.
“We’ve been waiting a long time for that, especially at home, and I thought we deserved the win today. A draw would have been a little harsh on us, considering the way we’ve played.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
“There was a real sense that we weren’t going to lose today. In recent games we’ve conceded late goals but today I thought we showed a lot of character and fully deserved the three points.”
– See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for match analysis and more reaction.