PLAYER’S REACTION: ‘I never felt like we were going to lose,’ says Murphy
DARYL Murphy says he sensed a change in mood among the Ipswich Town players after they showed tremendous character to secure a 2-1 win over Burnley at Portman Road.
The Blues led 1-0 through Murphy’s 50th minute header, but were pegged back against the run of play with 10 minutes to go when substitute Sam Vokes headed home.
Having let 1-0 leads slip in the final five matches of Paul Jewell’s managerial regime, a sense of nervousness suddenly swept around a Portman Road crowd who hadn’t witnessed a league win in more than seven moths.
The players showed superb spirit though and sealed a fully deserved victory three minutes from time when DJ Campbell produced a deft finish following a flowing counter-attacking move.
Having claimed six points from Mick McCarthy’s first three games in charge, the Blues are now off the bottom of the Championship table.
“It’s a feeling of joy more than anything to get that first home win,” said Murphy, who scored the winner in Town’s previous home league win – a 1-0 victory over Barsley on March 31.
“We’ve been waiting a long time for that, especially at home, and I thought we deserved the win today. A draw would have been a little harsh on us, considering the way we’ve played.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 4 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 7 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 8 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 9 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 10 'A really strong side' - Manning praises Town after defeat
“There was a real sense that we weren’t going to lose today. In recent games we’ve conceded late goals but today I thought we showed a lot of character and fully deserved the three points.”
– See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for match analysis and more reaction.