PLAYER’S REACTION: We were a defensive shambles admits Richie Wellens as Town lose 3-0 at home
IT was the worst possible start after the week Ipswich Town have had.
Going behind to Ross Barkley’s opener after just 45 seconds was compounded when the midfielder doubled his side’s advantage after the break before Michail Antonio scored late on.
It was a woeful performance from managerless Ipswich – something loan midfielder Richie Wellens was not hiding from as he admitted a new manager had a tough job on his hands.
Speaking after the match, he admitted: “I thought defensively we were a bit of a shambles.
“We never competed with their psychicality – they won every headed ball in both boxes.
“When you go one down after 50 seconds in the situation we are in, I thought we showed a bit of character in the first half – maybe the better team after the goal.
“But the second half is difficult to put your finger on it. We just need to get a new manager in and get everyone in shape.”
- 1 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 4 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 5 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 6 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 7 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 8 A-Level results: Joy for students across Suffolk
- 9 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 10 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
* To read more of Wellens’ thoughts on where it has gone wrong at Portman Road, buy Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star