PLAYER’S REACTION: We were a defensive shambles admits Richie Wellens as Town lose 3-0 at home
IT was the worst possible start after the week Ipswich Town have had.
Going behind to Ross Barkley’s opener after just 45 seconds was compounded when the midfielder doubled his side’s advantage after the break before Michail Antonio scored late on.
It was a woeful performance from managerless Ipswich – something loan midfielder Richie Wellens was not hiding from as he admitted a new manager had a tough job on his hands.
Speaking after the match, he admitted: “I thought defensively we were a bit of a shambles.
“We never competed with their psychicality – they won every headed ball in both boxes.
You may also want to watch:
“When you go one down after 50 seconds in the situation we are in, I thought we showed a bit of character in the first half – maybe the better team after the goal.
“But the second half is difficult to put your finger on it. We just need to get a new manager in and get everyone in shape.”
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 10 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
* To read more of Wellens’ thoughts on where it has gone wrong at Portman Road, buy Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star