Poll: Do you agree with Jewell as he banishes Martin from first team training?
LEE Martin is being shunned by angry manager Paul Jewell after the winger’s dismissal in Ipswich Town’s 7-1 humiliation at Peterborough on Saturday.
The 24-year-old was perhaps unlucky to see red for his sliding challenge by the corner flag just before half-time, with replays showing that he won the ball.
Jewell says that is irrelevant though, claiming he’s had enough with the wideman’s poor disciplinary record.
“I’m not speaking to him,” snapped Jewell when the winger’s name was brought up at this morning’s press conference with the local media, before solemnly adding “seriously”.
“He’s got to earn the right to start training with the first team again because I’ve had enough with his disciplinary record. It’s not as if he’s the most battle hardened midfielder is it?
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t mind players getting booked for honest challenges, but Lee’s are always silly and petty. I’ve had enough of that nonsense.
“Whether his was actually a sending off is debateable, but he’s given the referee the opportunity to do it.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“It was not a very mature tackle and the fact that he got clapped off afterwards really winds me up.
“Lee is a player who has done well for me, but he missed too many games for me last season due to indiscipline and now he’s going to miss another three games.”
The former Manchester United trainee was brought in from the cold by Jewell last season having spent the first half of the season out on loan at League One side Charlton when Roy Keane was in charge.
Just as he began to establish himself back in the Championship though, Martin was sent-off at Bristol City for a late tackle on Kalife Cisse back in April.
An eye-catching pre-season saw him start the new Championship season and he responded by scoring his first competitive goal in nearly two years on the opening day of the season – ironically at Bristol City.
The winger, who was booked 11 times last season, now has to set about re-establishing himself all over again though following another avoidable red card.
Jewell has already criticised another of his wingers in recent weeks, claiming teenager Josh Carson ‘isn’t in the best shape he could be’. However, with Jay Emmanuel-Thomas playing up front and Carlos Edwards at right-back, he was forced to start both Martin and Carson on the wings on Saturday.
– For plenty more from Paul Jewell, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star for exclusive content.