Poll: Do you agree with Mick McCarthy that Ipswich Town are better this season?
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy believes his squad is better now than it was at this stage of last season.
The Blues boss has sold left-back Tyrone Mings to Bournemouth for £8m this summer, but recruited proven striker Brett Pitman, flying wingers Ryan Fraser and Ainsley Maitland-Niles, as well as young centre-back Josh Yorwerth.
In addition, a crop of young talent has caught the eye in pre-season, while there are still plans to add one or two more new faces before the Championship opener at Brentford on August 8.
There certainly appears to be more strength in depth and, speaking after last Friday’s 4-3 defeat to Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany, McCarthy said: “Listen, we had a great season last season, but I think we’re looking better now than we were at this stage last year.
“We’ve got Josh Yorwerth, Josh Emmanuel and Myles Kenlock all playing, Kyle Hammond and Clarkey (Matt Clarke). They’re just going to be back-up those lads, but I think they’re going to be adequate back-up for a game here and there.
“I’ve got Adam McDonnell, Dylan Connolly, (Alex) Henshall and Kundai (Benyu) too.
“They are inexperienced lads, but they’re playing alongside experienced players.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
“I like the way the lads are progressing.
“We’ve got a really good blend in this squad between youth and experience.”
Town face League Two side Cambridge United, at The Abbey Stadium, in their third warm-up game tonight (7.45pm). Christophe Berra and David McGoldrick have joined up with the squad following extended summer breaks, but Daryl Murphy will be given some extra time off.