POLL: ‘I’ve got the best record in the Championship of all managers available’ says Gary Megson – but what do Town fans think?
GARY Megson has admitted he is ready to return to football management – but has stopped short of putting his name in the frame for the Ipswich Town job.
The odds on Megson taking over from Paul Jewell significantly shortened yesterday and while Alan Curbishley and Alan Shearer remain firmer favourites, Megson could be a contender.
He is widely believed to have been on the shortlist before Jewell took over and since then he has enjoyed success with Sheffield Wednesday – where supporters questioned the board’s decision to replace him with Dave Jones in March.
But Town fans yesterday bombarded social media forums with their concern over the Megson links.
Some questioned how his teams play while his Norwich links, a one-time player and then manager, won’t be ignored by most.
You may also want to watch:
But speaking to the Sheffield Star, Megson said: “I do want to get back in work.
“I might not be the best-dressed of the managers available and I might not talk the same bull as the managers who are available.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
“But I have got the best record in the Championship of all the managers who are available.”
It is understood Megson remains on gardening leave from Wednesday, ironically Town’s opponents tomorrow, which could be an obstacle owner Marcus Evans would have to overcome.
With Burnley and Crystal Palace also looking for managers in the Championship, there are opportunities for Megson to get his wish.
* Would you like to see Megson in the Ipswich Town hotseat? Vote in our poll now or leave your thoughts below.
* Keep checking this website today and over the weekend for all the latest on the race to replace Paul Jewell