POLL: Tommy Smith welcomes competition after Luke Chambers signs for Ipswich Town
BRING on the competition!
That is the message for new boy Luke Chambers today after he finally completed his free transfer move to Ipswich.
The 26-year-old centre-back was unveiled by the club yesterday having signed a three-year deal – and immediately welcomed with a double training session by Paul Jewell.
The former Nottingham Forest skipper should make his first Town appearance next week during the club’s pre-season tour of Netherlands.
One man who will be missing from that two-game trip, but who is clearly up for the fight, is Ipswich’s Olympian Tommy Smith who has welcomed a defensive rival joining the ranks.
You may also want to watch:
The New Zealand international, who could find himself partnering Chambers on the August 18 opener at home to Blackburn Rovers, said: “It keeps me on my toes.
“I think any club probably needs four central defenders due to injuries and suspensions. You need that strength in depth so any competition is welcome.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
“I am aware of him having played against him a few times. He seems a good solid centre-half and obviously we needed a right-sided player.”
Jewell said he was delighted to bring in a natural leader like Chambers while the defender was equally impressed by what he saw on his first day at his new club.
Chambers said: “I think you look at the squad we have got, it is not the biggest but some of the players we have got here are of top level.
“Having met them all today, the lads all seem really hungry. You see the spirit they have got in that dressing room today, it was a major boost for me. If we add a few more players, I think we will have a good season.”