POLL & VIDEO: What was the best goal? Baines belter against Newcastle or Ipswich?
IT is an early contender for goal of the season.
Leighton Baines’ 30-yard swerving rocket of a free-kick lit up the New Year as Everton came from behind to beat Newcastle 2-1 at St James’ Park last night.
But for Ipswich Town fans, they knew all about Baines’ prowess from distance.
Just minutes after Baines’ stunner, Town fans took to Twitter to reminisce about Tuesday, December 21, 2004.
Just over eight years ago, Portman Road was packed for the visit of Paul Jewell’s Wigan as the two promotion rivals went head-to-head.
Town eventually won 2-1, thanks to Darren Bent’s last minute winner, but everyone in the crowd was already buzzing after Baines gave the visitors the lead with a 40-yard shot that flew past Kelvin Davis into the top corner.
Among the tweets last night, @chrismarsh85 wrote: “Remember his goal against us for Wigan? Best goal I’ve even seen. #wand.”
- 1 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 2 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 3 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Family left homeless after bungalow destroyed in fire
- 7 NHS 'wargames' collapse of West Suffolk Hospital building
- 8 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 9 Huge country home with no near neighbours up for sale for £1.45m
- 10 Police release CCTV images after man suffers broken nose in attack
@jones_itfc added: “I remember thinking... “go on then, hit it... you’ll never score from there!!” #oops.”
Comparing the two, @steve_m10 said: “I was right behind that long-ranger he scored for Wigan. Tonight’s a bit closer in but similar swerve and power.”