POLL & VIDEO: What was the best goal? Baines belter against Newcastle or Ipswich?
IT is an early contender for goal of the season.
Leighton Baines’ 30-yard swerving rocket of a free-kick lit up the New Year as Everton came from behind to beat Newcastle 2-1 at St James’ Park last night.
But for Ipswich Town fans, they knew all about Baines’ prowess from distance.
Just minutes after Baines’ stunner, Town fans took to Twitter to reminisce about Tuesday, December 21, 2004.
Just over eight years ago, Portman Road was packed for the visit of Paul Jewell’s Wigan as the two promotion rivals went head-to-head.
You may also want to watch:
Town eventually won 2-1, thanks to Darren Bent’s last minute winner, but everyone in the crowd was already buzzing after Baines gave the visitors the lead with a 40-yard shot that flew past Kelvin Davis into the top corner.
Among the tweets last night, @chrismarsh85 wrote: “Remember his goal against us for Wigan? Best goal I’ve even seen. #wand.”
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
@jones_itfc added: “I remember thinking... “go on then, hit it... you’ll never score from there!!” #oops.”
Comparing the two, @steve_m10 said: “I was right behind that long-ranger he scored for Wigan. Tonight’s a bit closer in but similar swerve and power.”