Portman Road will host some Suffolk county cup finals this season
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town are to host three of this season’s Suffolk FA county cup finals at Portman Road.
It will be the first time since the 2012-13 season that the club have been able to stage any county cup finals at the ground.
The Senior Cup final, sponsored by CNet Training, will take place on Thursday, May 19, the Women’s Cup final, sponsored by HomeStore Self Storage, will be staged on Monday, May 23 and the Junior Cup final, sponsored by CNet Training, will be held on Tuesday, May 24.
All three finals will kick-off at 7pm.
The final of the Premier Cup sponsored by Omni Freight Services Ltd, which had originally been earmarked for Wednesday, April 6, has been switched to Wednesday, May 4 and will be at a neutral venue.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk FA Chief Executive Laura Smith said: “We are delighted that Ipswich Town have agreed to stage three of our county cup finals at Portman Road, after an absence of two seasons.
“The club have shown a very positive approach during our discussions to the finals returning to Portman Road, and I am sure that the move will be widely welcomed by not only the participating clubs and their supporters but by the whole Suffolk football community.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 8 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 9 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
“Unfortunately it is not practical to play the Premier Cup final on any of those dates as players at the clubs who will be involved in the final are only under contract until the first week of May.
“Therefore the decision has been taken to play the final after the end of the non-league season to assist the clubs with any potential fixture backlog and important league matches they may have to play.”
Ipswich Town Secretary Sally Webb said: “Where possible, we will always try to host the county cup finals at Portman Road and we are delighted that we have been able to agree dates with the Suffolk FA to host these prestigious matches this year.”