PORTSMOUTH 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1 - Michael Chopra seals fully deserved win for Blues
MICHAEL Chopra’s fourth goal in three games saw Ipswich Town deservedly seal a 1-0 at crisis club Portsmouth.
The in-form striker reacted quickly to force the ball home from close-range in the 13th minute after Daryl Murphy’s header had come back off the inside of the post.
It was no more than the Blues deserved after a dominant start at Fratton Park – a ground they have not lost at since 1966.
And while Pompey – roared on by their incredible supporters – came back into the game for a spell after the break, it was Ipswich who always looked the more likely to score.
Lee Martin went closest when his low shot hit the base of the post and Town were nearly punished when Greg Halford’s long throw appeared to find its way into the back of the net off Jay Emmanuel-Thomas’ knee. The referee, however, ruled that the ball had gone straight in and the goal was disallowed.
You may also want to watch:
It is the first time this season that Ipswich – who have achieved league doubles over West Ham, Coventry and Pompey in recent weeks – have achieved three successive wins.
They move up to 17th in the Championship table as a result – a healthy 12 point margin the gap between them and the relegation zone.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
– Reaction to follow.
PORTSMOUTH (4-4-1-1): Henderson; Ben Haim, Rocha, Pearce, Halford (Webster 90+); Etuhu (Benjani 79), Lawrence (cpt) (Kitson 44), Mullins, Ward; Huseklepp; Futacs.
Subs: Ashdown, Mokoena.
Booked: Ben Haim (12), Halford (50), Rocha (84).
IPSWICH (4-2-3-1): Lee-Barrett; Edwards (cpt), Delaney, Smith, Cresswell; Drury, Hyam; Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Murphy: Chopra (Scotland 79).
Subs: McCarthy; Ainsley; Bullard, Leadbitter.
Booked: Hyam (30), E-Thomas (33), Delaney (54), Scotland (81).
Attendance: 14,330 (550 away)
Referee: Mr D Deadman