POST-MATCH REACTION: Paul Jewell delighted with Massimo Luongo
PAUL Jewell was pleased with Ipswich Town’s 2-0 win over Cambridge United – and singled out new loan signing Massimo Luongo for particular praise.
The Spurs loanee played a holding midfield role in a new-look diamond system and excelled for Town, especially in the first half, looking nice and sharp and with some decent ball retention.
Jewell said: “Although you want to win at everything you do, results at this stage of the season really aren’t that important.
“This was a big improvement on Holland and I was particularly pleased with young Massimo who I thought was outstanding.
“He trained with us for the first time yesterday but has settled in and although I know it’s only a pre-season friendly, I thought he showed great confidence for a 19-year-old.
You may also want to watch:
“He looks a good footballer. There is that touch of quality about him.”
Two Michael Chopra goals proved the difference – the second a typically clinical strike – and Jewell was equally pleased with the form shown by his top marksman in these early pre-season games.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
The Blues boss added: “He could have had six tonight. He has looked sharp pre-season. But there is still a long way to go.”