Town's six summer signings begin training as Cook's squad prepare for new campaign
- Credit: ITFC
Ipswich Town's summer signings have been getting to work on the training field as Paul Cook bids to prepare his squad for the start of the new campaign.
The Blues have so far made six additions this summer, with Wes Burns, Lee Evans, Rekeem Harper, Macauley Bonne, Vaclav Hladky and Matt Penney joining the club.
They arrive at a time when there have been significant departures from Portman Road, with a raft of first-teamers leaving, another batch training with the club's Under 23s and heading for the exit and only a handful of last season's squad still with the first-team.
All six of Town's new signings have been training this week alongside James Norwood, Jon Nolan, Toto Nsiala, Kane Vincent-Young, Armando Dobra, Tomas Holy and Luke Woolfenden, as the Blues put in the hard yards before the pre-season match schedule begins.
A significant number of further additions are expected ahead of the start of the competitive action against Morecambe on August 7, with the pre-season games beginning in a little over a week as Ipswich head to Dartford on July 10.
Fitness is key for the Blues this summer, with manager Cook previously suggesting he inherited a squad lacking in legs following his arrival in March.
As well as the six new signings, a host of new coaches began their work on the training field this week, having joined Cook's staff.
Francis Jeffers and Ian Craney join Gary Roberts in coaching the first-team, while John Keeley has arrived to work with the Blues' goalkeepers.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 7 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Town have brought in three new members of the conditioning team, with Jon Ashton in as fitness coach, Andy Rolls as director of performance and Andy Costin in the role as head of sports science.
Following the game with Dartford, Town have scheduled matches at Bury Town (July 13), Stevenage (July 20, behind-closed-doors), at home to Crystal Palace (July 24), away at Colchester (July 27) and at home to Millwall (July 31).