Priskin set for key role with Blues
TAMAS Priskin’s future at Ipswich Town will be strengthened by the imminent arrival of goalkeeper Marton Fulop from Sunderland.
The 23-year-old striker is interesting Swansea City, but with one off his best mate and fellow Hungarian international Fulop joining him at Portman Road, Priskin looks a certainty to be available to Blues manager Roy Keane for the opening Championship game of the season at Middlesbrough on Saturday week.
The ankle injury that is likely to keep Connor Wickham out for six weeks leaves a vacancy up front that Priskin is in the running to fill.
When Priskin was thinking over a move to Ipswich last autumn from Watford, it was Fulop that he went to for advice.
The keeper had been signed by Keane from Tottenham during his time in charge at the Stadium of Light and became a regular for the Black Cats.
The 6ft 5in Fulop was believed to be in Ipswich yesterday to have a medical and discuss terms and appears on the verge of completing his signing for a likely �900,000 fee.
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce, who is happy to let Fulop leave, said: “Marton Fulop is on the edge of joining Ipswich.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 3 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 10 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
“They are talking personal terms as I understand it, so something should be finalised shortly as long as those talks go well.”
Last season Fulop made 14 first team appearances for Sunderland and has spent time on loan at Chesterfield, Coventry, Leicester City and briefly Stoke as well as Manchester City at the end of last season.
Fulop, who has a year left on his Sunderland contact, has turned down a move this week to Spanish newly-promoted La Liga side Hercules with Anderlecht and Olympiakos also have shown interest in a permanent deal along with Manchester City.
Fulop’s desire to play first team football has made Ipswich his top choice with Keane stating that he likes to have three keepers in his squad with Brian Murphy and Arran Lee-Barrett also on Town‘s books.
Priskin is set to be in action at Ram Meadow tonight (kick-off 7.45pm) when Ipswich are expected to send a strong side to face Ryman Premier League newcomers Bury Town.