REACTION & GALLERY: Ipswich Town boss hails ‘flipping brilliant’ Jonny Williams goal in draw at Sheffield Wednesday
Mick McCarthy hailed Jonny Williams’ impact after the Crystal Palace loan man celebrated his Blues debut with the equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night.
McCarthy, who saw Adthe Nuhiu give the hosts a fifth-minute lead, then played down fears over Williams’ fitness after the substitute went off holding his groin with three minutes to go.
“He had a bit of a groin (problem) although he shouldn’t have, as he had a warm-up at half-time and I primed him that he was going on in the second half,” said McCarthy.
“But we have got Nottingham Forest on Sunday and then a two-week international break so he will be fine.”
Williams struck with a sweet volley, just five minutes after coming off the bench, to give Town a share of the spoils – the visitors extending their unbeaten league run to six games,
“Jonny’s goal was absolutely flipping brilliant. It was the equaliser and it wouldn’t have mattered had it gone in off his backside, but it was a good goal,” added the Blues boss.
Both teams ended the night in the positions they had started, meaning Town travel to Forest at the weekend in fifth.
- 1 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 2 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 3 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 7 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 8 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 9 West Suffolk road closed after car crashes into ditch
- 10 Meet the Owls: A glaring weakness, young gun striker and the Luongo factor
“It was a hard-fought, hard-earned, deserved point,” said McCarthy.
“I thought we had some nice football in the first half, we kept the ball and they were letting us, and we had a couple of good chances (just before half-time).
“On reflection it was even on chances, they had couple in the net that were disallowed, but that’s the way it is.
“I was disappointed with goal we conceded, it was unlike us, and perhaps I will take a bit of stick because we deal with the near post.
“Perhaps it needed more explaining. It will now.”