Reaction: Ipswich Town deserved to win, says Jay Tabb
- Credit: Archant
Peterborough v Ipswich: Jay Tabb felt Ipswich were unfortunate not to take all three points at Peterborough but praised the Blues’ concentration levels, following an entertaining 0-0 draw.
Despite putting last season’s 7-1 hammering to bed, Town still dropped a place, courtesy of Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-0 win at Leicester and are four points clear of safety with nine games to play.
Frank Nouble saw a first-half shot strike the post from 25 yards before having another effort saved by impressive home ‘keeper Robert Olejnik as Town edged the opening 45 minutes.
Olejnik was at his best again in the second period, clawing away David McGoldrick’s goalbound header as the clock ticked down, before Ipswich had a penalty appeal turned down when the ball struck Jack Payne’s hand in the box.
At the other end, Lee Tomlin should have done better with Stephen Henderson equal to his weak shot, while former Town loanee Tyrone Barnett put a late free header over the bar from six yards.
Debutant Tabb lasted the duration on the left-hand side of midfield while Elliott Hewitt and Nouble also made their first league starts for the club.
“It’s always a tough place to come but it’s a game we feel we should have won,” said Tabb.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 3 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 6 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 7 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 8 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 9 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 10 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
“If you don’t win though, then it’s important that you don’t get beat and we had a really good shape that stopped them playing in midfield.
“They had a couple of shots but we should have also had a blatant penalty turned down and, on the whole, I feel we deserved to win the game.”
Match action, reaction and analysis in Monday’s Green’Un, only in your Ipswich Star