Republic of Ireland video highlights: Martin O’Neill praises Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick
- Credit: PA WIRE
Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill praised the impact of debutant striker David McGoldrick in last night’s 4-1 friendly win over USA.
Ipswich Town striker McGoldrick set up Ireland’s opening two goals for Anthony Pilkington and Robbie Brady, before watching from the bench as Brady grabbed a second and James McLean also scored.
“I think the positive aspect for me, obviously we had a number of decent performances, but to add a wee bit of extra quality,” said O’Neill, who started McGoldrick alongside Blues’ team-mate Daryl Murphy.
“I think that Cyrus Christie and David McGoldrick had two excellent debuts for us and that epitomises what we’re attempting to do. We’re trying to create a squad of decent calibre and quality and of players that are not found wanting at this level.
“It was important for us to know. For instance, Seamus Coleman got an injury and didn’t play games and we essentially had to fill in and play a midfielder at full back.
“And now Cyrus Christie has come on tonight and, if that’s anything to go by which it should be because he plays like for Derby County, then that’s a nice option to have at this stage.
“David has missed all pre-season for Ipswich and I think, in the games I’ve seen him play – and I might be totally wrong on this – he is getting fitter. Tonight, I thought he was getting a little bit tired as the game went on but he made a contribution which was important.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 6 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 7 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 8 'Fans are disgruntled - I understand it' - Cook on Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week