Scott Loach and Michael Chopra set to start in Aston Villa FA Cup clash
MICK McCarthy will ring the changes for Saturday’s FA Cup third round clash at Premier League strugglers Aston Villa.
With DJ Campbell now back at parent club QPR, Michael Chopra is set to win his first start in eight matches – the 1-1 home draw with Peterborough was the only time Mick McCarthy has began with last season’s top scorer since taking over.
Stephen Henderson and Bradley Orr are also ineligible, after parent clubs West Ham and Blackburn refused to allow them to play, meaning Scott Loach should get the nod over Arran Lee-Barrett in goal.
Orr’s replacement is less clear with 18-year-old Elliott Hewitt hoping to make his full debut after impressing in both training and fleeting substitute appearances.
Another school of thought is Carlos Edwards being pushed back to the right side of the defence and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas or Josh Carson earning a rare start.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Drury, if recovered from his bout of illness, or Nigel Reo-Coker could also play as a more narrow right-midfielder.
Young Villa midfielder Brett Holman hopes the cup match against Ipswich – and the Capital One Cup semi-final against Bradford just three days later – will be an ideal chance to restore some confidence after the Premier League suffered a nightmare Christmas period – earning just one point from their four matches while losing 8-0, 4-0 and 3-0 to Chelsea, Tottenham and Wigan respectively.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 The 36 best restaurants in Suffolk according to the AA guide
- 4 Cornell attracting Championship interest as Ipswich contract is terminated
- 5 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 6 Oxford boss hits out at 'ludicrous' League One spending while appearing to take swipe at Ipswich Town
- 7 'We are in for three, four or five players' - Town CEO Ashton on new signings and deliver 'dramatic change' for Cook
- 8 GP surgery with more than 3,000 patients announces closure
- 9 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 10 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
Holman said: “That’s definitely a great opportunity to win a couple of games and score some goals.”