Search for a centre-back
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he is looking to add another centre-back to his squad following the continuing injury problems he has had in that area of his side.
Ibrahima Sonko (torn hamstring) and Damien Delaney (fractured foot) are both on the treatment table ahead of Saturday’s trip to Nottingham Forest, leaving 34-year-old Ivar Ingimarsson and Stoke loanee Danny Collins as default choices in the heart of defence.
The former has only just returned from a lengthy spell out with a thigh problem himself and is playing catch-up on match fitness, while Collins has only six more matches before he returns to his parent club.
“Centre-half is an area where we’ve obviously suffered more than our fair share of injuries,” said Jewell, who was forced to play youngsters Tommy Smith and Jack Ainsley there earlier in the season during a disastrous period which included heavy defeats to Southampton and Peterborough.
“It’s a key area centre-half. During that good run we had (six games unbeaten), Danny and Sonko were solid and we had a base to build on, but we haven’t had that recently.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s an area we are looking to improve.”
Jewell – having already made 13 signings this season – has been told that he will be backed by owner Marcus Evans come the January transfer window, though he admits that his large squad may need trimming.
- 1 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Matchday Recap: It rains goals at Portman Road as Town hit six
- 4 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Ipswich Town 6-0 Doncaster Rovers: Evans leads the way as ruthless Blues cut loose under the lights
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 'They walked into us heavy' - Cook on 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster
In addition to a centre-back, the Blues boss is on the look-out for ‘young and pacy’ players, while he says the club will work hard to try and sign loanees Keith Andrews (Blackburn) and Collins on a permanent basis.
– For all the latest Ipswich Town news, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.