Sensational return to the Premier League for Kuqi?
NEWCASTLE United are reportedly considering a shock swoop for former Ipswich Town striker Shefki Kuqi.
The Premier League club sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool for �35m on the last day of the January transfer window. And with Shola Ameobi now out with a fractured cheekbone it leaves manager Alan Pardew with just three recognised strikers available. Two of those – Leon Best and Nile Ranger – are both struggling with knocks.
With the ‘emergency’ loan window not available to top-flight clubs, Pardew is now limited to the free agent list if he wants to add to his squad before the end of the season.
And 34-year-old Kuqi falls into that category after Derby County terminated his contract by mutual consent last month. Former Arsenal forward Jeremie Aliadiere and Brazilian striker Ewerthon are also free agents.
Kuqi, who scored seven goals in 62 appearances for Finland, was at Ipswich between 2003 and 2005 and returned for a brief loan spell in 2008. He scored 30 goals in 83 appearances for Town.
You may also want to watch:
The powerful 6ft 2in striker, who is famed for his ‘swallow dive’ celebration, has also played for the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Crystal Palace and Swansea.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 7 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 9 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 10 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy