Should players celebrate goals against former clubs? Darren Bent weighs in
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
It is a discussion which keeps rumbling on – should players celebrate when they score against former teams?
The issue is back in the news after former Everton striker Romelu Lukaku cupped his ears to Toffees fans after he netted against them for new side Manchester United on Saturday.
He drew some criticism for the move, while others defended his right to celebrate a goal.
Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent weighed in on the matter last night, when he appeared on Sky Sports’ Premier League Debate show.
The current Derby star, who has played for eight clubs in his distinguished career, said it was perfectly acceptable for Lukaku to celebrate at the weekend, adding: “If Lukaku was getting a lot of stick from the Everton fans then he’s going to rub it in their faces if he scores.”
But he added: “When I played against Ipswich Town last season I scored a goal and I didn’t celebrate because it was a respect thing, I learned the game there so from that point of view I can understand it.”
However, he revealed that of his former clubs, while he wouldn’t mark a goal against Aston Villa, he would celebrate if he netted against Sunderland.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 3 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 4 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 5 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 6 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 9 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 10 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
He said: “But for Sunderland, I play for Derby now and I’ve got a lot of respect for their fans so if I score I’m going to celebrate”.
So what do you think? Is it disrespectful for a player to celebrate a goal against a former club? Or does it matter?