Should players celebrate goals against former clubs? Darren Bent weighs in
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
It is a discussion which keeps rumbling on – should players celebrate when they score against former teams?
The issue is back in the news after former Everton striker Romelu Lukaku cupped his ears to Toffees fans after he netted against them for new side Manchester United on Saturday.
He drew some criticism for the move, while others defended his right to celebrate a goal.
Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent weighed in on the matter last night, when he appeared on Sky Sports’ Premier League Debate show.
The current Derby star, who has played for eight clubs in his distinguished career, said it was perfectly acceptable for Lukaku to celebrate at the weekend, adding: “If Lukaku was getting a lot of stick from the Everton fans then he’s going to rub it in their faces if he scores.”
You may also want to watch:
But he added: “When I played against Ipswich Town last season I scored a goal and I didn’t celebrate because it was a respect thing, I learned the game there so from that point of view I can understand it.”
However, he revealed that of his former clubs, while he wouldn’t mark a goal against Aston Villa, he would celebrate if he netted against Sunderland.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
He said: “But for Sunderland, I play for Derby now and I’ve got a lot of respect for their fans so if I score I’m going to celebrate”.
So what do you think? Is it disrespectful for a player to celebrate a goal against a former club? Or does it matter?