Sixteen keepers in 10 seasons – Paul Jewell knows what his No.1 priority is
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell is in no doubt what his number one priority is this summer.
The Blues boss has used four different goalkeepers this season, taking the tally of custodians used by the club over the last 10 years to an incredible 16.
David Stockdale (Fulham) and Alex McCarthy (Reading) have both seen loan spells cut short by their parent clubs, while veteran Richard Wright has made just one appearance since signing a short-term deal until the end of the campaign.
And it would appear that Jewell is uncertain about Arran Lee-Barrett, with the 28-year-old’s longest run in the side just five games this season.
“It’s been a tough one,” said Jewell, when quizzed about his chopping and changing of keepers.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been at the mercy of other people this year.
“It’s galling enough when your own player gets injured, but when a player gets injured elsewhere and it means you lose a loan player it’s frustrating. It’s certainly not been ideal having two loan keepers.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injuries at department store
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
“We want to go with a permanent keeper next year, or if it’s a loan, we don’t want that 24-hour recall. We are looking for players in that position.”
With Kelvin Davis the only goalkeeper to make more than 40 appearances for Town in consecutive seasons over the last decade (see inside for full breakdown), Jewell continued: “If a general football fan was asked ‘who’s Ipswich’s goalie?’ in recent years then I doubt anyone would have immediately sprung to mind.
“Richard Wright was always a name which people knew, but in recent years we’ve had Lewis Price, Arran (Lee-Barrett), (Shane) Supple, Brian Murphy, the list goes on. By contrast we all know who West Ham’s goalie is, or Reading’s, for example.
“We want to get to stage where our goalkeeper is recognised and he’s an established No.1.”
COUNTING THE CUSTODIANS
Andy Marshall 50 starts
Paul Gerrard 5 (loan)
James Pullen 2
Kelvin Davis 51
Lewis Price 1
Kelvin Davis 42
Lewis Price 9+1
Lewis Price 26
Shane Supple 22+1
Lewis Price 38
Shane Supple 12+1
Mike Pollitt 1 (loan)
Neil Alexander 31
Stephen Bywater 17 (loan)
Richard Wright 50
Shane Supple 1
Brian Murphy 16
Arran Lee-Barrett 14+1
Richard Wright 13
Asmir Begovic 6 (loan)
Marton Fulop 38
Brian Murphy 9
Arran Lee-Barrett 7
David Stockdale 18 (loan)
Arran Lee-Barrett 13+1
Alex McCarthy 10 (loan)
Richard Wright 1