Ipswich Town Ladies go third with hard-fought win over Actonians
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One Ipswich Town 1 Actonians 0 Ipswich Town Ladies dug deep to earn all three points against Actonians, with Roxy Small scoring the winner in the second half, writes Ethan Turner.
The first half didn’t really consist of many meaningful chances. Actonains had a free-kick that floated just over the Town goal, with Ipswich’s Amanda Crump doing the same.
The home side had the best opportunity of the opening 45 minutes. A neat corner led to a scramble in the Actonians area, but the ball was eventually cleared away as Ipswich struggled to fire home.
The second half looked more promising for both sides, with the game beginning to open up slightly. It was the visitors who had the ball in the back of net first, although it was ruled out.
In the 67th minute Town’s defence was suddenly carved open, but thankfully the goal was chalked off for offside. The visitors also came close a few minutes later, as a shot flashed wide of the Blues’ post.
You may also want to watch:
The deadlock was finally broken by Ipswich. A fantastic cross from substitute Sophie Welton found the head of Roxy Small at the back post, as she climbed above the defender.
But the visitors were immediately back threatening. Sian Fagg managing to pull off a cracking diving save as the ball headed towards the top corner.
- 1 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 2 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 3 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 4 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
Despite their slender lead, Ipswich had plenty of chances to put the game out of sight, in the remaining stages.
Amanda Crump had a lovely timed shot tipped over the bar, and it was the captain again who had the opportunity to double the lead, but poked the ball both past the Actonians’ keeper, and the far post.
The Blues did enough to hold on though, and took three points which sees them well-placed at third in the league.
Town XI: Fagg, Ball, Cage (Petley), Cooper, Arnoup, Small, Craddock, Crump (c), Cossey, Downey, Campbell (S Welton).