Smith welcomes competition for places in ‘really strong’ Town squad
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Tommy Smith believes Ipswich Town will have “a really strong squad” when the club’s injured players return and has welcomed the increased competition for places.
The New Zealand international came back into the side for Tuesday night’s defeat by Cardiff, replacing Adam Webster at the heart of the Blues’ defence, but at times looked short of match sharpness having not featured since the opening day due to a hamstring injury.
Town have been hit by a string of injuries in defence this season, which saw Mick McCarthy at one stage fielding a backline made up entirely of full-backs, but Smith now believes the strength of the Blues’ squad is beginning to show itself.
READ: Joe Garner on celebrating against former club Preston
“There are more of us coming back now and that means there is some good competition for places” the 27-year-old told the club website.
You may also want to watch:
“Without that pressure you can start to get complacent. You need to know there are others challenging for your position. It keeps you on your toes and makes you more determined to perform at the top level.
“It would be nice to have everyone fit at some point this season. If all the guys are fit then I think we have a really strong squad on paper.”
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
Town take on Preston on Saturday and could have Emyr Huws back in the matchday squad following his Achilles injury, while Tom Adeyemi has also been dealing with a hamstring problem and Teddy Bishop and Luke Hyam remain sidelined.