Sonko agrees one-year deal
IBRAHIMA Sonko has agreed terms for a one-year deal at Ipswich Town and will go straight into the squad for Saturday’s visit of Leeds United.
The 30-year-old Senegalese centre-back will be announced as Blues boss Paul Jewell’s ninth summer signing either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning once all the necessary paperwork is completed.
The powerful 6ft 3in defender was released by Premier League side Stoke City earlier this summer having spent last season on loan at Championship side Portsmouth.
He has spent the summer training with Reading, but rejected the chance to return to the Royals, as well as two offers from Greek clubs.
Sonko – nicknamed superman for his towering leaps – played for the Blues in a behind-closed-doors reserve friendly yesterday and will train with his new team mates for the first time tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
He will be reunited with fellow centre-back Ivar Ingimarsson, the pair having formed a formidable partnership when Reading stormed to the Championship title in 2005/06.
With Town having conceded 12 goals in their last two games, Jewell has admitted he is desperately short of centre-backs. Ingimarsson (thigh) and Smith (suspended) are unavailable for Saturday, leaving just Damien Delaney as his only recognised player in that position.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 6 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 9 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
– For all the latest on this deal, see tomorrow’s Evening Star.