Stevenage tie will be a first for Ipswich Town
- Credit: PA
It will be a first for Ipswich Town when they play at Stevenage in their Capital One Cup fixture, on the week starting August 5.
The Blues have been drawn with Graham Westley’s men in the competition and the tie will mark a first-ever game between the two clubs.
Ipswich have gone head-to-head with 80 current Football League teams, meaning Stevenage are one of 11 outfits Ipswich have yet to play, the others being AFC Wimbledon, Accrington, Burton, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Rochdale, Wycombe, York City, Crawley Town and Newport County AFC.
Town’s first confirmed opponents for the 2013/14 season finished 18th in League One last season, having reached the League One semi-finals the year before, when they were defeated by Sheffield United.
That defeat came under Gary Smith who took charge at the Lamex Stadium following the departure of Westley to Preston North End.
You may also want to watch:
Both Smith and Westley’s tenures at their new clubs proved to be brief ones and the latter was back in charge for a third spell at Boro at the end of March.
Elsewhere in the draw, Colchester United will host Peterborough United, relegated from the Championship last season, while last season’s surprise package and Capital One Cup runners-up, Bradford City, travel to Huddersfield Town.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 8 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
- 9 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 10 A12 reopened after three-car crash
Ipswich, semi-finalists in 2011, exited at the second round stage last season, 2-1 at Carlisle (AET). Colchester lost 3-0 at Yeovil.
Draw: Bury v Crewe, Shrewsbury v Bolton, Middlesbrough v Accrington, Doncaster v Rochdale, Preston v Blackpool, Barnsley v Scunthorpe, Tranmere v Mansfield Town, York v Burnley, Notts County v Fleetwood, Sheff Utd v Burton , Oldham v Derby, Carlisle United v Blackburn, Morecambe v Wolves, Nottingham Forest v Hartlepool, Leeds v Chesterfield, Huddersfield v Bradford, Rotherham v Sheff Wed, Port Vale v Walsall, Gillingham v Bristol City, Bournemouth v Portsmouth, Wycombe v Leicester, Brentford v Dagenham & R, Exeter v QPR, Charlton v Oxford, Southend v Yeovil, Millwall v Wimbledon, Swindon v Torquay, Birmingham v Plymouth, Stevenage v Ipswich Town, Cheltenham v Crawley, Bristol Rovers v Watford, Northampton Town v MK Dons, Leyton Orient v Coventry, Colchester v Peterborough, Brighton v Newport County AFC.