Talks underway with trialists Dan Seaborne and Dean Gerken
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town are in talks with trialists Dan Seaborne and Dean Gerken about permanent switches, the EADT understands.
Centre-back Seaborne and goalkeeper Gerken – released by Southampton and Bristol City respectively at the end of last season – both played 45 minutes of Town’s 2-0 pre-season win at Irish side Shelbourne on Saturday and are both due to be involved again when the Suffolk side travel to Crawley Town tomorrow night.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy had originally been looking for a new first choice goalkeeper, but the form of Scott Loach in the final few games of last season convinced him that limited funds were best spent elsewhere.
Gerken will almost certainly start the new campaign as the back-up custodian, but the 28-year-old – who was born in Essex and played more than 100 games just down the road at Colchester United – has plenty of experience and will certainly keep fans’ favourite Loach on his toes.
Seaborne has the rare achievement of earning promotion from the Conference, League Two, League One and Championship on his CV, having made his name at Exeter City and strengthened his reputation at Southampton.
You may also want to watch:
The left-footed 26-year-old – who stands at 6ft 3in tall – didn’t make a Premier League appearance for the Saints last season and was loaned out to Charlton and Bournemouth. He’ll provide some much-needed competition for Luke Chambers and Tommy Smith in the central defensive department.
Meanwhile, the Blues are also reportedly closing in on Christophe Berra. Wolves paid £2.5m for the latter just three-and-a-half years ago, but the 28-year-old Scotland international – who has vast top-flight experience – was released following the Midlands club’s relegation to League One.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 3 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 4 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 5 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 7 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
Town last night confirmed the straight swap deal which sees winger Paul Anderson arrive from Bristol City and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas head in the opposite direction. It’s understood that Town came to a financial agreement with the former Arsenal man regarding the final year of his contract.