TEAM NEWS: Anthony Wordsworth makes his first Ipswich Town start, while Tom Ince is only on the bench for Blackpool
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Blackpool: ANTHONY Wordsworth has been handed his first start for Ipswich Town, while Blackpool star man Tom Ince has surprisingly been dropped by the visitors.
Midfielder Wordsworth – a January signing from Colchester – will start on the left of midfield, with Daryl Murphy returning to his favoured forward role and Aaron Mclean dropping to the bench.
Blackpool are understood to be close to confirming Paul Ince as their new manager, with the former MK Dons and Blackburn boss believed to be watching today’s game from the stands.
Ince’s son – Tom – has been dropped to the bench by caretaker manager Steve Thompson, despite the England Under-21 international having scored 17 goals this season.
The 21-year-old was yesterday in Switzerland as part of an FA hearing into sanctions imposed following the Serbia versus England Under-21 match last October.
Former Ipswich loanee right-back Reece Wabara – who scored for Oldham in their FA Cup win over Liverpool recently – is on the bench for the visitors.
Mick McCarthy’s side are currently just a point above the Championship relegation zone after last weekend’s 1-0 defeat at Blackburn. The Suffolk side have won just one of their seven games in all competitions since the start of the New Year.
- 1 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 2 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 3 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 4 One of north Suffolk's 'most productive' arable farms up for sale
- 5 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
- 6 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 7 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 8 Ambitious plans to regenerate 'dilapidated' part of Suffolk town revealed
- 9 Suffolk museum to host military vehicle display
- 10 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
The Blues could close the gap on today’s opponents to just two points with victory today. The Seasiders, who have seen managers Ian Holloway and Michael Appleton join Championship rivals this season, recently went eight games without a win.
Thompson’s side have stopped the rot by winning two of their last three matches though.
– Follow @Stuart_Watson and @ChrisBramms on Twitter for live match updates.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Henderson; Stearman, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Edwards (cpt), N’Daw, Hyam, Wordsworth; McGoldrick, Murphy.
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Hewitt, Kisnorbo, Drury, Mclean, Chopra, Nouble.
BLACKPOOL (4-3-3): Gilks; Baptiste (cpt), Cathcart, Broadfoot, Crainey; Basham, Angel, Gomes; Taylor-Fletcher, M Phillips, Derbyshire.
Subs: Halstead, Wabara, Ferguson, Osbourne, Delfouneso, Ince, Eccleston.
Referee: Robert Madley