TEAM NEWS: Anthony Wordsworth makes his first Ipswich Town start, while Tom Ince is only on the bench for Blackpool
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Blackpool: ANTHONY Wordsworth has been handed his first start for Ipswich Town, while Blackpool star man Tom Ince has surprisingly been dropped by the visitors.
Midfielder Wordsworth – a January signing from Colchester – will start on the left of midfield, with Daryl Murphy returning to his favoured forward role and Aaron Mclean dropping to the bench.
Blackpool are understood to be close to confirming Paul Ince as their new manager, with the former MK Dons and Blackburn boss believed to be watching today’s game from the stands.
Ince’s son – Tom – has been dropped to the bench by caretaker manager Steve Thompson, despite the England Under-21 international having scored 17 goals this season.
The 21-year-old was yesterday in Switzerland as part of an FA hearing into sanctions imposed following the Serbia versus England Under-21 match last October.
You may also want to watch:
Former Ipswich loanee right-back Reece Wabara – who scored for Oldham in their FA Cup win over Liverpool recently – is on the bench for the visitors.
Mick McCarthy’s side are currently just a point above the Championship relegation zone after last weekend’s 1-0 defeat at Blackburn. The Suffolk side have won just one of their seven games in all competitions since the start of the New Year.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
The Blues could close the gap on today’s opponents to just two points with victory today. The Seasiders, who have seen managers Ian Holloway and Michael Appleton join Championship rivals this season, recently went eight games without a win.
Thompson’s side have stopped the rot by winning two of their last three matches though.
– Follow @Stuart_Watson and @ChrisBramms on Twitter for live match updates.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Henderson; Stearman, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Edwards (cpt), N’Daw, Hyam, Wordsworth; McGoldrick, Murphy.
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Hewitt, Kisnorbo, Drury, Mclean, Chopra, Nouble.
BLACKPOOL (4-3-3): Gilks; Baptiste (cpt), Cathcart, Broadfoot, Crainey; Basham, Angel, Gomes; Taylor-Fletcher, M Phillips, Derbyshire.
Subs: Halstead, Wabara, Ferguson, Osbourne, Delfouneso, Ince, Eccleston.
Referee: Robert Madley