TEAM NEWS: Jason Scotland dropped as Paul Jewell reverts to 4-2-3-1 formation
Ipswich v Blackburn: IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has dropped striker Jason Scotland following a Man-of-the-Match display against Bristol Rovers in midweek so that he can return to his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation for this afternoon’s Championship opener against Blackburn Rovers at Portman Road.
Josh Carson – away on international duty with Northern Ireland in midweek – returns to the side on the left of midfield, with Lee Martin reverting to his stronger position in a central attacking role.
It means the average age of the Blues starting XI is less than 24, with Carlos Edwards (33) and Michael Chopra (28) the only players aged over 26.
Six of the home side – Aaron Cresswell, Tommy Smith, Massimo Luongo, Luke Hyam, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Carson – are aged 22 or under.
By contrast, the newly-relegated Blackburn Rovers side is packed with experience, with the likes of Paul Robinson, Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu, Morten Gamst Pederson and Nuno Gomes all starting and David Dunn having to make do with a place on the bench.
You may also want to watch:
– Report to follow.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-2-3-1): Loach; Edwards (cpt), Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Hyam, Luongo; Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Carson; Chopra.
- 1 Matchday Live: Four goals in a busy first half
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Delaney, Ainsley, Drury, Stevenson, Scotland, Murrya.
BLACKBURN ROVERS (4-4-2): Robinson; Lowe, Givet, Dann, Orr; Formica, Murphy (cpt), Etuhu, Pedersen; Gomes, Kazim-Ricahrds.
Subs: Kean, Dunn, Olsson, Jorge, Goodwillie, Hanley, Ribeiro.
Referee: Darren Drysdale