TEAM NEWS: Paul Jewell opts for youthful midfield for first pre-season friendly
BYRON Lawrence, Josh Carson and Luke Hyam will all start in Ipswich Town’s midfield for their first match of their two-game tour of the Netherlands tonight.
Paul Jewell has named an intriguing starting line-up for the match at Dutch second division side Helmond Sport, handing Luke Chambers his debut alongside Damien Delaney in the centre of defence.
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas could well be tried alongside Michael Chopra upfront with Jewell likely to go with 4-4-2.
Trialists Marian Kello, a Slovakina international keeper, and French duo Plasir Bahamboula – a midfielder – and defender Solialio Bakayogo start on the bench but will be given time to impress.
Lee Martin has not been included in the squad of 20.
You may also want to watch:
Jewell said: “The two French lads were with us last week and trained well and we wanted to have another look at them and see them in a game.
“They have both done well and we will see how things go. With Marian, Aston Villa were keen on him and he’s a free agent.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injuries at department store
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
“He’s come over to spend the week with us in Holland and we will take it from there.
“He will get a game tonight as will the two other trialists.”
Ipswich: Lee-Barrett; Edwards, Chambers, Delaney, Cresswell; Carson, Hyam, Stevenson, Lawrence, JET, Chopra. Subs: Bullard, Kello, Scotland, Bakayoko, Bahamboula, Whight, Murray, Drury, Ainsley.
Helmond Sport: Van Der Steen, Kazlauskas, de Regt, ter Horst, Justiana, Sequeira, Quekel, Stachnik, Hattu, Guvenc, Siers. Subs: Sengier, Brouwers, Veerman, Carlos David, Lammers, Van Geffen, Verberne.