TEAM NEWS: Tyrone Barnett returns to Peterborough after suffering cruciate knee ligament injury
Leeds United v Ipswich: Town loanee Tyrone Barnett has returned to parent club Peterborough United after suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury in Monday’s 2-1 reserve team defeat to a Nike Academy side.
The 27-year-old striker was due to be with the Blues until January 19, but now faces at least three months on the sidelines after sustaining a posterior cruciate knee ligament injury.
Having started games in wins against Nottingham Forest and Bolton, Barnett was replaced in Town’s starting line-up by Daryl Murphy for last weekend’s 3-0 home win. Unwanted by Posh following a ‘breach of club discipline, the powerful forward had been hopeful of signing for the Blues on a permanent basis in the New Year.
It means that Southend loanee Bilel Mohsni – left out of the squad as the sixth domestic loanee in recent weeks – could come back onto the bench for Saturday’s trip to Leeds.
Meanwhile, Blues boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed that midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker has recovered from the hamstring injury which has kept him out for the last three games. Fellow central midfielder Luke Hyam has also returned to training this week following his own hamstring injury, but is a doubt for the weekend due to illness.
You may also want to watch:
On loan Blackburn right-back Bradley Orr has been suffering with a trapped nerve in his neck, but should be fine for the game at Elland Road.
Young right-back Elliott Hewitt – who made his debut as a late sub last weekend – and striker DJ Campbell have both reported tight hamstrings this week, but also should also be fine.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
– For all the latest Blues news, see tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star.