TEAM NEWS: West Ham expected to parade new signings at both ends of Portman Road against Ipswich Town
Ipswich v West Ham: Big-money signings Modibo Maiga and James Collins are expected to make their West Ham debuts on home soil when the Premier League newcomers meet Ipswich Town in the Blues’ showcase summer friendly.
While an ambitious loan move for England striker Andy Carroll has currently stalled, Mali international Maiga, a �4.7 million signing from Sochaux, is expected to lead the line.
At the back for the Hammers, Collins could be in the heart of the defence just days after completing his return to Upton Park on a �2.5 million move from Aston Villa.
Fellow new signing Jussi Jaaskelainen, a free transfer from Bolton Wanderers in place of Rob Green, and Stephen Henderson wiil vie for the goalkeeper’s jersey.
West Ham, who beat Colchester United 2-1 at the end of last month, could start with a 4-3-3 formation with Nicky Maynard impressing lately in an unfamiliar wide role.
One striker who might miss out on the trip is Sam Baldock with rumours abound that the Ipswich target is close to agreeing a �1.5 million switch to divisional rivals Bristol City.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce will have to make do without Olympic duo James Tomkins and Mohamed Diame as well as the injured Kevin Nolan (toe) and George McCartney (sciatic nerve), while Jack Collison has recently returned to full training.
- 1 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 3 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 4 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 5 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 6 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 7 New homes plan submitted for controversial Suffolk site
- 8 Five new flats to replace redundant builder's yard
- 9 Woodbridge café adds extra outside seats due to high demand from customers
- 10 North Stander: With goals from elsewhere, do we need another striker?
* Click on the link at the top right-hand-side of this page to read how Nicky Maynard inspired the Hammers to a win over Colchester United last month