TEAM NEWS: West Ham expected to parade new signings at both ends of Portman Road against Ipswich Town
Ipswich v West Ham: Big-money signings Modibo Maiga and James Collins are expected to make their West Ham debuts on home soil when the Premier League newcomers meet Ipswich Town in the Blues’ showcase summer friendly.
While an ambitious loan move for England striker Andy Carroll has currently stalled, Mali international Maiga, a �4.7 million signing from Sochaux, is expected to lead the line.
At the back for the Hammers, Collins could be in the heart of the defence just days after completing his return to Upton Park on a �2.5 million move from Aston Villa.
Fellow new signing Jussi Jaaskelainen, a free transfer from Bolton Wanderers in place of Rob Green, and Stephen Henderson wiil vie for the goalkeeper’s jersey.
West Ham, who beat Colchester United 2-1 at the end of last month, could start with a 4-3-3 formation with Nicky Maynard impressing lately in an unfamiliar wide role.
You may also want to watch:
One striker who might miss out on the trip is Sam Baldock with rumours abound that the Ipswich target is close to agreeing a �1.5 million switch to divisional rivals Bristol City.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce will have to make do without Olympic duo James Tomkins and Mohamed Diame as well as the injured Kevin Nolan (toe) and George McCartney (sciatic nerve), while Jack Collison has recently returned to full training.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
* Click on the link at the top right-hand-side of this page to read how Nicky Maynard inspired the Hammers to a win over Colchester United last month