The clock is ticking to get Mick McCarthy installed as Ipswich Town manager
MARCUS Evans is facing a race against time to secure Mick McCarthy in the Portman Road hot-seat before Saturday’s crucial trip to Birmingham City.
McCarthy has been the leading candidate to succeed Paul Jewell for the last few days but the club were last night staying silent on when the new man might be unveiled.
After the odds on McCarthy were slashed on Tuesday night, we understand talks continued yesterday but the nature of the negotiations have slowed proceedings down.
McCarthy is the red-hot favourite for the position with Terry Connor likely to come in as his assistant.
His proposed appointment has also raised the exciting possibility of fans’ favourite Matt Holland making an emotional return to Portman Road.
You may also want to watch:
Holland yesterday maintained a dignified silence and that won’t be confirmed or denied until McCarthy is place.
* Mick McCarthy is the best manager I have ever played under – and will play the ‘Ipswich way’. Find out who said this in tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward