Timeline: The life and times of Sir Bobby Robson
- Credit: Paul Kingston/North News
With Ipswich Town and Newcastle United set to celebrate Sir Bobby Robson Day tomorrow, we take a look back at the life and times of the great man in our specially-created timeline.
Sir Bobby Robson is a football legend.
From his early playing days at Fulham to his managerial career, which saw him guide Ipswich Town, Newcastle United, England and a host of European clubs to success, he made an impact wherever he went.
Town fans will remember him most for leading the Blues to unlikely triumphs in the 1978 FA Cup and 1981 UEFA Cup, while for a generation of younger fans he will always be the man who guided England to the semi-finals of World Cup Italia ‘90.
That team, boasting the likes of Paul Gascoigne, Gary Lineker and David Platt, captured the nation’s hearts - and Sir Bobby was the man at the forefront.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, he went on to manage several big European clubs to success, before etching his name into Newcastle United folklore with his spell at St James’ Park.
There will always be only one Sir Bobby Robson - and it is fitting that tomorrow everyone will remember him as Ipswich and Newcastle meet at Portman Road.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces