Tom Adeyemi makes debut as Ipswich Town under 23s beat Sheffield United
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town U23s 3 Sheffield United U23 2 Summer signing Tom Adeyemi made his debut in a Town shirt tonight and two first half goals put the Blues in command as Sheffield United were seen off at Portman Road, writes Ethan Turner.
It was the away side who started the stronger, although they struggled to create any meaningful chances. Adeyemi showed confidence and calmness from the beginning. Town were looking to keep possession, with Adeyemi elegant on the ball.
The breakthrough eventually came in the 16th minute, young defender Luke Woolfenden poking home from a corner.
And the Tractor Boys certainly carried a threat going forward, with Bersant Celina looking very sharp. The visitors were battling though, as Jordan Hallam had a shot tipped past the post by Town keeper Michael Crowe.
Ipswich’s continuous threat was rewarded on 39 minutes. A huge mistake by Blades keeper Marcus Dewhurst allowed Ben Morris to pick out Danny Rowe, who passed the ball into the empty net to make it 2-0 at half-time.
The home side continued to press despite their two goal advantage, Celina coming close after some wonderful counter-attacking football from Rowe.
The Blades got a goal back after 54 minutes, defender Keenan Ferguson with a thumping header.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 3 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 5 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 6 Man, 33, jailed for 10 years for child sex offences
- 7 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 8 Hot ticket for what could be a big night... AFC Wimbledon v Ipswich
- 9 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 10 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
Adeyemi was substituted after a convincing performance in midfield before Town’s two goal lead was restored by Ben Folami in the 68th minute, thanks to a glorious run by Rowe, who surged from one box to the other.
The game should have been out of sight, but Sheffield United continued to press forward, Hallam a constant thorn in Town’s side, and he netted a scrappy goal in the 71st minute – game on.
The Blades’ continuous pressing meant that the away side were vulnerable on the counter. Come the 90th minute Town had their opportunity to seal the game. An outstanding run from Rowe left defenders scrambling and he was felled in the area.
Celina stepped up and chipped a poor penalty over the bar. But the Blues held on, and with both Adeyemi and Rowe looking very strong, boss Mick McCarthy has food for thought over the international break.