Tommy Miller still mystified by Jordan Rhodes sale
TOMMY Miller has tipped ‘priceless’ 40-goal Jordan Rhodes to score goals at any level – even though it remains to be seen whether he stays with promoted Huddersfield Town.
The 22-year-old has scored an incredible 85 goals in 145 games since Roy Keane allowed him to join the Terriers in a cut-price deal.
Miller and Rhodes are today still celebrating after helping Huddersfield to a dramatic play-off final penalty shoot-out win over Sheffield United on Saturday to clinch promotion to the Championship – and set up a possible reunion with Ipswich.
And the former Blues midfielder, who was well aware of Rhodes’ promise when he was scoring for fun in the Town youth team, has admitted he cannot fathom why Ipswich allowed the youngster to leave three years ago.
Miller said: “Jordan Rhodes is an absolute goal machine. He has got the knack and he has always had it.
You may also want to watch:
“I remember coming to Ipswich on a Monday morning and asking how the youth team had got on and it would always be how many did Jordan get?
“I am surprised Roy Keane made the decision to sell him. When you look back at it, you have to say it was a very strange decision although obviously the manager thought it was the right one.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 9 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
“Seeing how Ipswich have done since selling Jordan, they could definitely have used him as they have always needed a goalscorer. He is priceless.”
Miller’s comments will resonate with the majority of Town fans who have seen Rhodes go from strength to strength, albeit in a lower league.
Whether it is with promoted Huddersfield or somewhere else, Miller has no doubts that the Scottish international striker would score goals at a higher standard.
He said: “I think his overall game has also improved, in terms of hold-up play, while he also scores all sorts of goals.
“He is a smashing lad who wants to get better – you can see that by how hard he works. Best of all, he is very level-headed which is probably down to his family.
“He has had a fantastic season and there is no doubt he could perform at a higher level. He will go on to bigger and better things, whether at Huddersfield or elsewhere.”