Town appoint new groundsman
IPSWICH Town have appointed a successor to renowned former groundsman Alan Ferguson.
Ben Connell has been appointed as the new head groundsman after Ferguson agreed to take on a senior role at the National Football Centre at Burton.
“I’m delighted to have been handed the opportunity of working at Ipswich Town, with the fantastic facilities the club has,” said Connell.
“I know I have some big boots to fill with what Alan has achieved here but I’m looking forward to the challenge. I’ve known Alan for a few years and he’s always been there to answer a question and offer some advice.
“My first job is to continue to provide the standard of pitches that he has done but there’s a good team of groundstaff here and I’m confident we can maintain the levels he has set.”
You may also want to watch:
Connell, 31, has worked locally in the industry, most recently at St Joseph’s College where he has been since 2007. He will be taking up his new post at Portman Road later this month.
Town chief executive Simon Clegg said: “I’d like to welcome Ben to the football club. We spoke to a number of excellent candidates but felt that Ben was in the best position to carry on the fantastic work that Alan and his team have done over the years.”
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 6 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk