Town bid for new winger AND striker
THE capture of Lee Bowyer has not stopped Blues boss Paul Jewell bidding for another winger and a third new striker.
The Ipswich Town manager has today revealed that he is targeting further additions despite signing five new players before a ball has been kicked.
Speaking from the club’s base in the Netherlands at the start of the pre-season tour, Jewell said: “We have a bid in for a striker and a wide player and we will see what develops from there.
“It will be a long, hard season ahead and we are trying to put together a squad that will be competitive in the Championship. We’re obviously delighted with the players we have brought in but we’ve got a way to go yet.”
And the Town boss is not stopping there, admitting that he would like a fourth centre back as he looks to make his squad as competitive as possible.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We’re also after another centre-half to provide competition to Damien [Delaney], Tommy Smith and Ivar [Ingimarsson]. There are other areas we are looking at as well.
“Deals take time and we will use right up to the end of the transfer window if need be to get the players in that we feel can take this Club forward.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 8 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
Given Jewell’s comments, it would seem he is unlikely to sanction any bid for Tommy Smith who has been linked with Championship rivals Crystal Palace in one of this morning’s tabloids.